Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Kids Teach Themselves to Read

I just read a really good post on how unschooled children teach themselves to read that I just had to share. I usually like his blog anyway, but absolutley loved this one entry particular.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201002/children-teach-themselves-read

I loved the article in its entirety, but my favorite part has to be when he states that "Children learn to read when reading becomes, to them, a means to some valued end or ends." YES! YES! YES! People need to hear this more. I have said that same thing over and over and over again, and not just about reading, but about everything - math, grammar, writing, geography, history, EVERYTHING. A person will not truly *learn* something until they have a *reason* to do so.

No comments: