Thursday, January 03, 2008

We 've MOVED!!

It's been quite a while since we updated any of our blogs, but it's been for a very good reason. After six and a half years of work, we have FINALLY moved into our house! *whew* (wipes brow) There were times when I honestly did not think we would ever actually LIVE in this house. I worried that we'd run out of money before we could finish. Which we did - several times - but more money always came later. I also worried that our family wouldn't survive the stress. We did, though not totally unscathed. It's been a long a bumpy ride, but we made it.

We haven't finished all of the work yet and won't for some time, but we have at least "achieved occupancy" (said in the same tone of voice as NASA's "we have achieved lift off"). We've been mudding and taping, moving boxes, grouting tile, and on and on for the last few weeks. I've stayed up until 5 or 6 a.m. several time this week just trying to get this place in some sort of order...and we haven't even finished moving all of our stuff in yet. Our essentials are here, but the rest won't be here until tomorrow evening. As I type this I am sitting in an unfinished room that will soon be my office/studio surrounded by huge buckets of joint compound, bags of grout, piles of tools, and various pieces of furniture that haven't found a home yet. The beautiful new hickory laminate flooring we've been putting in is covered by newspaper, the carpet installation has been delayed because of the holidays, and my keyboard is sitting on a table that bumps my knees because the desk is still at the apartment until the truck comes tomorrow. But the kitchen is clean and functional, the cat has resumed her post on my lap, the birds are starting to visit the feeder outside the window, and the house is starting to feel like "home".

No comments: